Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Baby Season

In Wedding Crashers, Vince Vaughn's announced to Owen Wilson, "It's wedding season, kid!" and shortly thereafter the wedding crashing began.  You know what "wedding season" is, right?  You've heard the term.  You've probably used the term.  It's a pop culture staple when it comes to wedding talk.  Well, that's what I thought until I checked Urban Dictionary, the holy grail of all pop culture terms.  I had expected to find "wedding season" with a definition that went something like this: the time of year, between late spring to early fall, when the weather is at its best and people get married in droves.  I expected a reference to Wedding Crashers and maybe something about open bars and bridezillas. 




I was shocked to find that there is NO definition for wedding season on Urban Dictionary.  Huh?!  You can, however, find the definition to Bean Season.  You really do learn something new every day... 



With Easter right around the corner,
I think it's arguably Jelly Bean Season.


I'm going to depart tradition and say that, even without an Urban Dictionary definition, wedding season is a term.  And it's not only a term but it's also a reality in enough people's lives that a whole movie was based on it. 

What's decidedly NOT a term is "baby season".  Weather has no impact on baby making and thus there is no season affiliated with baby births.  Ummm, again, that's what I thought.  Turns out there is sort of a baby shower season - late Spring.  Statistically speaking, the most babies are born in the summer with August usually winning out as the biggest birthday month.  This finding has proven to be remarkably consistent over the years.  Nine months before summer times is late fall/winter time.  So it would seem that when the weather gets cold there is a spike in indoor activities...

As you know, Next Stop Baby is about the time in life when wedding season is over and baby craze begins.  But I guess it could have been about when wedding season is over and baby season begins.  Just doesn't have as nice a ring to it.

Have these statistics proven to be true for you?  Do you find yourself going to April/May/June baby showers for June/July/August due dates?  I found a bunch of interesting birth statistics over at BabyCenter.com (here) that are definitely worth checking out.

1 comment:

Jessica Morris said...

Over the years I've found myself going to many April/May baby showers! Lots of June/July birthdays in my life. I never really thought much about my birth date (November), but I always had at least a few kids in my class with very close birthdays. I finally realized a few weeks ago that we were all conceived right around Valentine's Day!