Monday, May 14, 2012

SSA 2011 Top 10!!! (at last)

By sheer stroke of luck, I decided (moments ago) to check out the Social Security Administration website to see if the 2011 updates were finally posted.  Each May, the SSA releases the Top 1,000 baby names from the previous year.  The exact day in May isn't scheduled (to my knowledge).  I had somewhat patiently ignored the urge to check the SSA website on a daily basis for the past two weeks and instead decided that I would eventually catch wind through news outlets.  But it's mid month and I hadn't yet heard anything, so I caved and checked the site myself.  BAM.  They are up and ironically just went live.  The Top 10 lists are below and of course I'll give you my full two three cents after I've had time to paroose and digest the full list.

Top 10 Girl Names for 2011
  1. Sophia
  2. Isabella
  3. Emma
  4. Olivia
  5. Ava
  6. Emily
  7. Abigail
  8. Madison
  9. Mia
  10. Chloe

Top 10 Boy Names for 2011
  1. Jacob
  2. Mason
  3. William
  4. Jayden
  5. Noah
  6. Michael
  7. Ethan
  8. Alexander
  9. Aiden
  10. Daniel

3 comments:

Amy said...

They actually are always scheduled to post on the Friday before Mother's Day each year. This year, though, they were delayed til Monday because someone from the SSA was going to be on the Today Show with Matt Lauer to discuss the names.

Something new for you to learn today! :)

Lia Capri said...

My baby's name is not up there!

Leah (it's me) said...

Amy - THANK YOU. Now I can mark my calendar rather than stalk the SSA website.

Lia - I think that these days parents prefer to find a one-of-a-kind gem for their little ones, so it's maybe a relief that you're name isn't up there?!